Bachelor of Architecture: Course, Duration, Eligibility, Syllabus, Colleges, Distance, Jobs
The Bachelor of Architecture is an undergraduate degree of academic requirement in the field of architectural practice. Architecture is the art and practice of designing and constructing buildings and other structures. Hence, this five-year full-time program intends to create licensed professionals trained in the craft of planning and designing physical constructions of different sorts. The course contains an array of subjects, right from history and theoretical understanding to structural and practical knowledge.
"Architecture is not so much a knowledge of form, but a form of knowledge." -Architect Bernard Tschumi
It is a creative field with practical implementation. Architects are the masterminds of our built environment and thus, play an important role in creating the beautiful backdrop to the drama of life! Individuals with a flair for designing and rational thinking along with an artistic outlook can flourish as architects. Naturally, problem-solving, inquisitiveness, attention to detail and innovativeness are essential qualities to hone, apart from receiving the formal education.
Why study B.Arch?
• The course teaches in a detailed and in-depth format the knowledge and skills required to practice architecture.
• It is a fast-growing profession in India due to the surge in the construction and infrastructural sectors.
• Architecture is a delicate balance between the practicality of structure and the nuance of aesthetics. Hence, it is an exciting combination of art and engineering.
• The scope of career growth is tremendous due to the multiple opportunities provided by a profession that offers a variety of trajectories.
Candidates who wish to pursue the Bachelor of Architecture Degree (B.Arch) must have passed the 10+2 board examinations with a minimum score of 50% and mathematics as a mandatory subject. Alternatively, those with a 10+3 Diploma (preferably in architecture/designing/interiors) with a 50% aggregate score can also enrol.
All interested candidates must take an entrance test and secure a passing mark.
1. The National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA) is the most common entrance exam widely accepted in several colleges offering B.Arch degrees across India.
2. The Architecture Aptitude Test (AAT) is required for admission to design programs offered by the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
3. Some colleges have their private entrance exams as a singular criterion for admission. In such cases, the candidates need not take NATA and can directly apply to these institutes.
It is advised to check the enrolment criteria for the desired institute prior to choosing the appropriate entrance exam.
Tip: Preparation for such exams is a must, as architecture is not often taught as a mainstream subject in most schooling syllabus. Several coaching centres offer year-long training and crash courses (2-4 weeks) which can help you ace the entrance!
The entrance exams contain the following sections: Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Logical Reasoning, General Aptitude and Drawing ability.
B.Arch Course duration:
The Bachelor of Architecture program is a five-year full-time course organized into ten semesters. This period also includes a practical training session (for either 1 or 2 semesters). The journey from the first semester to the final semester takes the students step-by-step, from understanding architecture, learning to conceptualize, undertaking designs, producing drawings, to overseeing construction.
The program is formulated to ensure that the students are proficient in the basic foundational subjects and can further enhance their skills via electives and practical training in the studio. Though the curriculum may vary between the different colleges and universities, they all essentially cover similar grounds.
• Basic Design
• History of architecture I
• Theory and design fundamentals
• Materials and construction I
• Art appreciation
• Model making workshop
• Architectural design Studio I
• Advanced Art studio
• Architectural drawing
• History of architecture II
• Materials and Construction II
• Introduction to structures
• Environmental science
• Architectural Design studio II
• History of architecture III
• Materials and Construction III
• Design Communication
• Structural Mechanics
• Computer Aided modeling and visualization
• Landform survey and analysis
• Architectural design studio III
• History of architecture IV
• Materials and Construction IV
• Structural Analysis
• Building Services
• Computer aided simulation
• Architectural Design Studio IV
• Interior Architecture and Space programming
• History of architecture V
• Materials and construction V
• Building Services systems
• Working drawings I
• Architectural Design Studio V
• History of architecture VI
• Materials and construction VI
• Working drawings II
• Architectural design development
• Practical training
• Architectural Design Studio VI
• Environmental systems
• Services and Equipment
• Landscape Architecture
• Human settlement and planning
• Entrepreneurship development
• Professional practice and ethics
• Building economics and project management
• Design methodology
• Building valuation
• Urban Design
• Architectural Thesis
Colleges offering B.Arch.
B Arch Colleges Mumbai
• Sir JJ College of Architecture
• Rizvi College of Architecture
• IES College of Architecture
• CTES College of Architecture
• School of Environment & Architecture
• Academy of Architecture
• Mumbai University
B Arch Colleges Chennai
• SAP, Anna University
• MEASI Academy of Architecture
• Rajalakshmi School of Architecture
• Anand School of Architecture
• Mohamed Sathak AJ Academy of Architecture
B Arch Colleges Hyderabad
• SV College of Architecture
• Vaishnavi School of Architecture and planning
• JBR Architecture College
• GITAM School of Architecture
• Ashoka Group of Institutions
• Aurora Group of Institutions
B Arch Colleges Bangalore
• BGS School of Architecture & Planning
• RR School of Architecture
B Arch Colleges Ahmedabad
• CEPT University
• LJ School of Architecture
• NIRMA University
• INDUS University
• LJ University
• SAL Education Campus
• Gujarat Technological University
• SAL School of Architecture
B Arch Colleges in Delhi
• School of Planning and Architecture (SPA)
• Jamia Milia Islamia University
• Sushant School of Art and Architecture
• Amity Institute of Architecture and Planning
• Sunder Deep College of Architecture
• Sharda University, School of Architecture and Planning
• Guru Gobindh Singh Indraprastha University
B.Arch Distance Education:
Bachelor of Architecture course is available in distance and correspondence mode, which facilitates students to attend classes without appearing in college every day. The admission process is similar to that of regular B Arch admission. However, the course duration may vary from 4-7 years, depending upon the university. IGNOU, Amity University and Rizvi College of architecture offer widely famous B Arch distance education courses.
B.Arch Job Prospects:
Architectural practice is an expansive arena, with several opportunities and career amalgamations due to its broad scope of subjective insights. · Traditionally, B Arch graduates essentially settle on the occupation of project architect, whose set working responsibilities include creating designs for construction, organizing with development professionals, town planning, construction of buildings for residential, commercial, hospitality, and so forth. · Apart from this, the graduate can also work as a project manager, site supervisor, structural engineer, land developer or design consultant. · The degree also allows for a bit of experimentation, as one can even pursue ancillary design fields like set/stage designs, graphic design, furniture & interior design, restoration architect etc
· Opportunities for employment in the government sectors, especially in town planning, offers good career growth.
· Academic openings for architects as professors and researchers are highly paid and sought after.
· Extreme architecture, green building architecture, design of temporary structures, etc., are other specializations that yield a good trajectory. A fresh graduate starting out as a junior architect usually receives a salary of 2-5 lakhs per annum. However, it is subject to change depending upon the organization and the individual's skill-set.
B.Arch Higher education- Post graduation:
The post-graduate programs that one can pursue after completing B Arch vary primarily in terms of the area of specialization. M Arch, which is perhaps the most direct higher qualification for an Architect, offers courses in Architectural Design, Real Estate, Urban Design, Town Planning, Landscape Design, Architectural Conservation, Building Engineering and management, etc. However, there are several complementary courses in M Design as well, that can help strengthen the skills required to excel in practice. Doing an MBA post B Arch is often chosen by those who want to grow in managerial roles. BBut ultimately, it depends on the students' interests and strong suits, which they no doubt shall recognize by the end of the five years of B Arch. Currently, there are over 800 architecture colleges and around 90,000 certified architects in India. This is because the noble profession is considered to be creative, full of challenges, dealing with the real-time scenario of people and the natural environment.